I started The Genetic Genealogist nearly a year ago, in February of 2007. To celebrate the approaching one-year anniversary of the blog, I am announcing a contest to give away a FREE genetic genealogy test from one of my sponsors, DNA Heritage.
Why offer a free genetic genealogy test? I know that there are many genealogists out there who are interested in genetic genealogy, but are reticent to spend the money for a test or think they know too little about genetic genealogy to buy a test. Hopefully, readers of The Genetic Genealogist know a lot more about the technology than they did before they were readers, and now one of you will win a free test! The winner may choose from the following tests offered by the company:
- The Y-chromosome STR (23 marker) Test valued at over $135
- The Y-chromosome SNP Test valued at $129 (sample report)
- The mtDNA Test (HVR-I, HVR-II, and HVR-III for a total of 1145 bases) valued at $219 (sample report).
The contest rules are below, but I wanted to point out that DNA Heritage has an FAQ section, as well as a Tutorial section and a Glossary. I would highly recommend that anyone who is not familiar with DNA testing or genetic genealogy read these sections carefully and completely to understand all the benefits and limitations of genetic genealogy. It is important that anyone who is interested in any form of genetic testing understand all the implications of that testing. Note also that genetic genealogy does NOT instantly reveal the names and dates of ancestors – this can only be accomplished by comparing your results to others (using free public DNA databases) in conjunction with traditional genealogical techniques!
According to my recent estimate, as many as 600,000 to 700,000 genetic genealogy tests have been sold in the United States since 2000, with 80,000 to 100,000 new tests sold every year. Thus, the field of genetic genealogy is continuing to grow and will only become more popular as the cost of genetic sequencing continues to decline.
Without further ado, here are the rules (I’m a law student, and they’ve taught me to love to write rules):
- To Enter:
- Write a short review of the blog or the contest with a link to http://www.thegeneticgenealogist.com using the anchor text “genetic genealogy” and then leave a comment here with a link to the review (worth three entries); or
- Subscribe to my feed and then email me your name and the secret password found in the feed (worth two entries); or
- Subscribe to my blog by email using the form in the far right sidebar (worth two entries); or
- If all else fails, leave a comment to this post as to why you want to receive a free genetic genealogy test (worth one entry).
- If You Win: After the winner receives his or her results from DNA Heritage, the winner agrees to write on their own blog or be interviewed here about their experience with DNA testing, or the impact of the results (or something along those lines), to help introduce other people to genetic genealogy.
- Contest Duration: The contest will run from 3:00AM January 4, 2008 to 11:59PM on January 18, 2008.
- The Drawing – Every entry will be assigned a number, and after the close of the contest, I will use Randomizer to select a winner and a runner-up (in case the winner fails to respond). If you win, I’ll contact you via email to get your address and phone number so that DNA Heritage can contact you.
- By entering, you are agreeing that you’ve read the Terms and Conditions at DNA Heritage, including the requirement that DNA will not be accepted from anyone who is younger than 18.
In addition to announcing the winner on January 19th, 2008, I will also linkback to everyone that entered the contest. As a result, you’ll get a quality link from a PR5 blog even if you don’t win the free test! Good luck!